I experience my first what my CL calls a "Texas rain." We were sitting at dinner when it started pouring outside. It was the CL commissioning service so people were dressed pretty nice for the most part. Nobody brought rain coats or anything (except the tiny umbrella I happened to have in my purse). We got outside and not only were the raindrops HUGE but the whole campus flooded. We all just took our shoes off and ran through the rivers that had formed in the streets. THere is an empty creek bed that runs through campus. I bet it is 20 feet deep. I always thought it was weird that it was there until the other night! It was like a flash flood! The thing was full of water. Well not full like 20 feet depp but probably 2 or 3 feet of water gushing through.
(Side note: GAC is on the TV right now and a Big and Rich video is playing and it makes me sad! Good to see those faces and hear the music but in a bittersweet kind of way. )
Anyway... I was soaked and disgusted by the fact we were running through the water with no shoes on but it was a great bonding experience and then we went to get free ice cream. Nothing better than ice cream when you're soaked right?
So yesterday was Move In day! Over 200 residents filed into my two buildings. We had so many volunteers and the day could not have gone any better! No psycho parents, only two lost bags (that were located before nightfall), and I didn't get fired! We had a big cookout on the lawn and then hosted the first ever Honors Residential College movie night. What was the movie selection you ask? Well I'll give you three guesses what movie an honors community at a highly intellectual university would choose... Lord of the Rings. SO of course, we can't show them all in one night. We're having a 3 night extravaganza! There were probably 75-100 people that came to hear our Faculty Master speak, see my face with my few announcements and then watch the movie. I came back into the movie about halfway through and there were about 10 people left. The committed few! Our second installment is tonight and then the third will be Saturday.
We are having an academic reception for the Honors College faculty tomorrow. It will be a trademark Baylor Dr. Pepper Hour. They make a blended Dr. Pepper float in a big punch bowl. Like 13 gallons of the stuff. The good news is that catering thought that the event was today! Incase you are doing the math with me, that's 26 gallons of Dr. Pepper float. Woohoo! It is such good stuff! I just had one and can't wait to have another tomorrow!!
And the second exciting thing about tomorrow is that my friend Anna is coming down from Dallas tomorrow! Yay! My first houseguest after things are settled! Casey will be so excited to have someone else to play with at night! (She is sitting in her bed right now going to town on a rawhide strip. She loves chewing and luckily only chews her own things right now!)
There is another very exciting tradition that happens tomorrow night at my hall but I will have to tell you all about it on another post this weekend. It is a secret and I'm just not sure how to do it justice in words since I haven't experienced it yet. So until my next post, hope things are well!!
1 comment:
"honors community at a highly intellectual university"
You're kidding me right? Intellectual maybe by Texas standards! I don't think I would compare it to the Ivy League!
Glad you're having fun though! Lisa
Post a Comment